Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Mainstreaming of Survivalism

Well, I'm finally back after a longer-than-expected hiatus. Let me just say that I will not be willingly moving again anytime in the next decade. The movers were proof positive that incompetence has run rampant in this world.

It seems that survivalism is becoming increasingly mainstream. Fox News Channel's "Hannity" and NBC's "Today" have both aired pieces on "suburban survivalists" lately. Apparently Ashton Kutcher has a bug-out bag and guns (are you kidding me?) (not safe for work):



And then I saw this magazine cover at Target last night:

National Geographic Adventure: How to Survive (Almost) Anything

The article explains eight "Black Swan" (high consequence, low probability) situations such as wildfires, power grid collapse, and tsunamis and how to survive them. Definitely worth a read.

I don't know -- does it seem to you that survivalism is now becoming more mainstream, or am I just noticing it more because I am one now?

No comments: